The Duchynski Funeral Home was founded in the early 1920s by John Duchynski of Yonkers, New York. He was a native of Panikowika Mala, Galicia, Austria. Mr. Duchynski came to this country in 1913, settling in Yonkers, and was married to Antonia Dubyna on August 12, 1916. The couple, who made Yonkers their home, had 5 daughters. Mr. Duchynski attended school here and graduated from the Renouard Training School for Embalmers.
The original home of the business was at 46 Washington Street in Yonkers, and was later moved to larger quarters at 39 Washington Street. In 1941, the main office was established at 111 Yonkers Avenue, Yonkers, in Westchester County, and the business has been running at this location until July 2016. It was then re-located to its current address at 601 Yonkers Avenue.
After the passing of Mr. Duchynski, in July of 1966, Mrs. Ann Cherko, his oldest daughter, who was associated with her father in the business, took over the day to day operation of the funeral home along with her husband, William Cherko, Sr. At that time, the funeral home was renamed to Duchynski-Cherko Funeral Home, Inc. William John Cherko Jr. , their son, also came on board as a licensed funeral director and he was also responsible for much of the renovations of the premises.
Mrs. Cherko was awarded state licenses as a funeral director and embalmer in 1936 after graduating from the Renouard Training School for Embalmers in New York. Only twenty-one at the time, she was the youngest licensed female mortician in the city. Mrs. Cherko ran the Duchynski-Cherko Funeral Home until her passing in 2004.
Today the Duchynski-Cherko Funeral Home, or as we lovingly refer to it as D-C, is still family operated by Anna and Ted O'Lear, niece and nephew of Mrs. Cherko, who purchased the funeral in April of 2007.